Tuesday, May 1, 2012

more sketches

Here are the sketches for our theme assignment. I sketched out two ideas, Urban Space Cowboy, and Aliens Eating Babies. So, the first picture is of my ideas for the aliens eating babies idea. I wanted to do the alien concepts first, so that I could have an idea of what they were before I made the painting. I used it as practice for being a concept artist. The idea behind the aliens was that their whole life cycle would be based around catching babies and storing them in the sac-like stomaches. Then, they could either incubate the babies, making new aliens out of them, or they could digest them. I also thought that babies could refer to women, since baby is a form of endearment. I thought that would be more ethical, anyways.
The second sketch is my character design for the urban space cowboy. I had this idea that the world he lived in would be like Firefly, in the fact that westerns would be blended with Asian language and culture. So I had this crazy idea that he would have a cybernetic arm, which was gifted to him by the Japanese. He would also have a samurai shoulder guard on that arm. I forgot what the characters mean, but the basic idea was that they were describing him as a lone wolf sort of character, who had a troubled past. I wanted the gun to be unique as well, and I have some concepts for that that I might post later.

These are the thumbnail sketches. I was playing around with different compositions and stories.
Settled on this sketch
Then sketched out some concepts for the outlaw robot. I wanted to be sure that it retained the western feel, so I integrated the hat, chaps, and my favorite addition, the giant cigar. THe idea behind that was that there was a respirator that the hat hid, and the respirator took the cigar smoke and pumped it directly into a mask the outlaw wore, so that he only breathed cigar smoke.
This is the rough sketch. I painted it to get the values roughed in quickly. I apologize for my shadow being in the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment